UAV Drone Training New Zealand – 101 & 102 RPAS Courses

Who Are Our UAV CAA Approved Drone Courses for?

Taught by Professional Helicopter and Drone Pilots

Read more below...

Drone Training Pilot Courses – 101 and 102 RPAS Training

Who Are Our UAV CAA Approved Drone Courses for?

  • If you are operating a UAV in New Zealand, then you need to know CAA Part 101 rules.
  • If you operate outside part 101 rules, you must have a part 102 certificate under either on a private or commercial basis.
  • Anyone who wants to know how to fly their drone legally under CAA Part 101.
  • Anyone who wants to fly their drone commercially without having to ask permission under part 101 rules.
  • If you want to feel confident and sure of operating your drone (the things you can and can’t do with your drone), OR operate your drone with the freedom and extended clearances as a 102 certified drone operator.
  • Anyone who wants to know how to fly safely and responsibly in New Zealand so you fly in accordance with your obligations under Civil Aviation Rules Parts 101 & 102.
  • Anyone who is already a current UAV pilot and wants to know you aren’t at risk of losing your drone through mishandling or confiscation (lack of knowledge).
  • Anyone who intends on flying drones in a built-up area above 400 feet or at night (there are conditions around this).
  • There are many triggers for requiring 102 certification, which we can explain if you give us a call.

Some Questions To Think About Flying Drones around the public:

  • Have you had less than 20 hours drone flying experience?
  • Are you intending to use your drone above groups of people or around property you do not own or occupy?
  • Are you using your drone for commercial purposes?
  • Do you have any airspace knowledge regarding the areas you intend on flying around, or within 4km of an airport/airstrip or hospital?
  • Do you know your legal obligations for operating safely as a private drone pilot under CAA rules?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you could be unknowingly breaching airspace and drone flying rules.

What can you do as a Certified Part 101 Drone pilot – a helpful article to help you determine what rules your drone activities fall under.

Feel free to Email Us and we will send you an information pack to help clarify what permissions you need as both a private drone operator, or operating a drone commercially. You can also call us on 027 315 2265 to have a discussion of your requirements.

About our Pilots and Instructors

Our pilots are not just mad keen drone enthusiasts but also fully licensed aeroplane and helicopter pilots.

This means we can offer a comprehensive, interactive drone training syllabus under a CAA certified 141 training certificate which gives you interesting and valuable insights into the world of aviation from qualified commercial pilots.

While operating your drone, you join the fraternity of aircraft pilots, so who better to learn the rules and protocol from, than from real pilots who fly professionally.

We teach you all about airspace and how to operate drones from a practical, enjoyable and regulation-compliant point of view.

Potential Consequences If You Don’t Know The Rules?

There are increasing instances of UAV pilots being caught out by a lack of understanding about airspace rules resulting in fines, prosecution and / or confiscation of their drones by CAA.

Below is a video of what happened at Gatwick airport when an untrained drone pilot flew too close to airport airspace. Incidents like this one and others (Google Dubai drone indecent on Youtube) can cost the airport millions.

In New Zealand, CAA is becoming very tough on people who through lack of knowledge, or deliberate ignorance, break the rules.

Gatwick drone incident – 2 July from NATS on Vimeo.

Getting Your Drone Licence – Drone Pilot Training

To operate a drone commercially, you need to know about airspace and about CAA rules around flying your drone above and around people and property. There are safety and legal considerations, as well as practical side of owning, operating and maintaining your drone.

What You Will Learn In Our 101 And 102 Training:

  • About different categories of airspace like controlled and uncontrolled airspace, and how restrictions in those airspaces may apply to you.
  • Airmanship, rules and best practices to help you stay out of trouble with authorities and also maintain the life of your drone (UAV).
  • Airshare website – how to log your flights on Airshare and ask for Air Traffic Control authorisation/approval.
  • Airspace rules like the “upside down wedding cake” picture of the airspace around your area.
  • Certified operations rules and expectations for drone UAV operators.
  • Flight operations – all about how your drone works, flies, battery care and longevity etc
  • Flight planning – mitigating hazards/protecting your drone from damage or loss in areas you intend to fly in.
  • How to comply with Civil Aviation Rules applicable to you when flying your UAV.
  • How to read and understand Visual Navigation Charts (VNC’s).
  • Interpretation and meaning of CAA Parts (documentation) plus specific requirements any operator of an unmanned aircraft need to comply with to meet regulations.
  • Knowledge testing to meet CAA requirements for certification.
  • Meteorology and how it effects your flying, and aircraft you may be sharing airspace with.
  • NOTAMS (notice to airmen), what they are and when you need to file one as a UAV pilot
  • Privacy considerations regarding people and property (what your are and are not permitted to do legally).
  • What it’s like for pilots to share the sky with drones, case studies and real life scenarios that help you make good decisions to keep your drone and aircraft safe.
  • What permissions you need to request to fly within Civil Aviation Rule Parts 101 and 102 rules.

Optional Helicopter Flight With Us (just above low-level drone flying height)

We also offer an optional helicopter flight to demonstrate what it’s like for us helicopter and fixed wing pilots to fly in the same airspace as you, a drone pilot. During your flight, your pilot will show you a true sight picture of what controlled airspace looks like – and what it’s like for us aeroplane and helicopter pilots flying in the same airspace at a height your drone may be flying at.

Photo below is a photo of our drone course class graduates after a fly in the Bell 427

If the weather and conditions permit, we like to take course attendants for a fly in one of our Bell helicopters to see a birds-eye view of TGA airspace!

We are the only certified drone course providers that offer a helicopter flight to our students for the purpose of demonstrating what it’s like for us helicopter and fixed wing pilots to fly in the same airspace as you.

dronecoursemay23rd2019 1024x567 - UAV Drone Training New Zealand - 101 & 102 RPAS Courses


drone training map - UAV Drone Training New Zealand - 101 & 102 RPAS CoursesCAA Required 102 Expositions

CAA require part 102 commercial drone operators to provide an exposition which is a detailed document outlining operating and safety procedures. This is the basis under which you be allocated a part 102 certificate or not. They also require operators to attend a 141 certified course. It is possible to create your own exposition, however, CAA recommends that it is most cost effective to commission a training organisation to write one for you because they know exactly what is required.

CAA charge $248 per hour to audit your submitted exposition. Often they request changes or additions to your document, which can add up to quite a lot quite quickly. This is why CAA recommends it is more cost effective to commission a customised exposition that already contains all the information they expect to see. This means you can be sure you tick all the boxes.

We provide 102 operational exposition writing services for clients through a subcontractor who we have worked with for many years in the helicopter industry. Marty has many years of operational and regulatory experience

Our Course Was Developed By Aeroplane And Helicopter Pilots, Who Are Also Drone Operators.

We have applied our experience of our aircraft flight training to the drone operating environment. Testing officers train and test you so you are completely competent practically and legally.

What Is A UAV?

“Unmanned Aerial Vehicles” are known as RPAS, UAVs, or the widely used nickname Drones. UAS is a slightly different term which stands for “Unmanned Aerial System”. This means a system comprised of a remote aircraft, any control station, and radio links between the control station device and the aircraft.

New Zealand Civil Aviation (CAA) rules use the term “unmanned aircraft”, and the International Civil Aviation Organisation prefers RPAS, a “Remotely Piloted Aircraft System” – a form of UAS that is piloted by a person on the ground.

UAV’s operating above 400 feet AGL (above ground level) share airspace with other aircraft. So CAA has stipulated that UAV operators flying above this height or at night, require training and 102 certification.

That’s where our courses come in…

Drone UAV Operations & RPAS Safety Training

If you are needing UAV pilot training, UAV pilot certification, or operational competency assessments for your unmanned aircraft operations, we provide fully qualified training available to the highest standard set by CAA New Zealand.

Aviation Training 2017 Limited is a CAA-approved Part 141 organisation which provides certified quality UAV training and Part 102 certification for UAV pilots and operators.

All UAV operations may be conducted under Part 101 or Part 102 certification. Part 101 certified operations are limited in nature with many restrictions in place. These limitations can be lifted for an operator that is certificated under Part 102. If you intend on operating a UAV within 4km of an aerodrome, CAA now requires a pilot certificate for operation under Part 102. It is also advised by CAA to perform an annual Operational Competency Assessment (OCA).

Drone Pilot Qualifications

At the end of our course, after passing your theory and practical flight test you will be issued with a certificate of demonstration of competency under our CAA approved 141 training certificate. This means you can show your certificate to prospective clients who may hire you on the basis of your qualification, and training.

Certification and qualification is becoming more of a prerequisite for hiring of anyone operating a drone for business use as the CAA tightens it’s regulations on drone use.

To become 102 certified, with all of the benefits and priveledges awarded to certified organisations, you’ll also need to submit your certificate along with an exposition to CAA for final approval.

Refresher RPAS Courses Covering Aviation Law & Re-Certification

Annual Operational Competency Assessments (OCA’s) are a standard feature of commercial manned aviation. These refresher courses are recommended (and likely to become mandatory) for Part 102 operations, as rules for drones evolve. We run OCA’s for operators as well as 102 initial training.

Part 141 Certified Training Organisation

Organisations issued with a part 141 certificate have been audited and approved by CAA to hold a 141 training certificate.  This means that as a part 141 certified organisation, we must adhere to the highest standard of compliance and training.

Aviation Training UAV courses are designed to deliver a complete curriculum of practical course material that covers every aspect operators need to operate their drone/UAV safety and responsibility. The purpose is not only to ensure safety in flight but also considerations regarding environmental and airspace obligations that impact flight operations and potential liability.

DroneTrainingFlyer - UAV Drone Training New Zealand - 101 & 102 RPAS Courses

Download Drone Training PDF

What can you do as a Certified Part 101 Drone pilot (compared to uncertified) – a helpful article to help you determine what rules your drone activities fall under.